- April 29, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- PUTRAJAYA is very committed to implementing Undi18 and it will be carried out in the near future, said Takiyuddin Hassan.
- The Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law) said the government would expedite the process for the bill, which was passed in 2019.
- “This (Undi18) was discussed and confirmed in the cabinet meeting on 28 Apr 21 and it will be worked on to be implemented in the near future,” he said in a statement.
- Takiyuddin said following the decision, the Election Commission (EC) will take immediate steps to resolve several other matters related to certain relevant legal provisions and technical matters, including updating the required software system.
- This cabinet decision comes after EC chairman Abdul Ghani Salleh previously said the commission’s preparations had been hampered by the Covid-19 pandemic, forcing it to delay the implementation to Sep 22, at the earliest.
- Takiyuddin also added that the government is committed to giving opportunities to young people to be voters in the next general election or in any by-election and state election.
- In Nov 20, the law minister had been reported as saying that automatic voter registration for 18-year-olds was expected to be in place by Jul 21 at the latest.
- Following Takiyuddin’s statements, the Undi18 youth movement called on the government to state clearly when 18-year-olds will be allowed to vote.
- The group also wants the Election Commission to explain the issues that are in the way of the law being swiftly enforced.
- “We welcome the renewed commitment of the cabinet to lower the voting age in Malaysia as soon as possible. Undi18 still insists on further clarification from (de facto law minister) Takiyuddin Hassan and the government to provide a clearer timeline for the bill’s implementation,” Undi18 member Roshinee Mookaiah said in a statement.
- “We demand to know what are the existing technical challenges that currently impede the bill’s swift execution,” Mookaiah added.
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/313017
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/313023