- July 13, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- AZHAR Azizan Harun was installed the new speaker of the Dewan Rakyat without a vote after Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin proposed his name.
- The decision to invite Azhar as speaker was greeted with derision by the opposition bench, which had expected the matter to be put to a vote.
- The opposition wanted the sitting of the House to be suspended for 14 days to allow all MP’s to nominate an alternative candidate. But Deputy Speaker Mohd Rashid Hasnon rejected the request.
- The heckling continued as Azhar took the oath of office amid shouts of “shame on you” from the opposition.
- Kasthuriraani Patto (DAP-Batu Kawan) was heard shouting: “Who voted for this speaker? Who voted for this speaker? Where’s the vote?” The new speaker responded by ordering Shah Alam MP Khalid Samad out of the chamber.
- Azhar replaces Mohamad Ariff Md Yusof, who was removed by the House on 13 Jul 20 by a razor thin 2-vote margin. Rashid, who presided over the session, did not vote, while Maximus Ongkili (Kota Marudi-PBS) was absent on sick leave.
- After Rashid rejected the opposition’s request to nominate an alternative candidate, he asked Muhyiddin to proceed with Azhar’s nomination
External Link : https://www.themalaysianinsight.com/s/260413