- October 23, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Tourism Minister Arief Yahya says growth in the Indonesian tourist industry may surpass that of Thailand within the next five years.
- Indonesia welcomed some 14 million foreign tourists in 2017, with contribution to the state revenue at around USD15.2bn, while Thailand welcomed 35 million foreign tourists in the same year with contribution to the country’s state revenue at USD45bn.
- Meanwhile, Indonesia aims to welcome 17 million foreign tourists in 2018, with contribution to the state revenue to reach some USD17bn.
- “We project that in 2019, the tourist sector will contribute USD20bn,” Arief said.
- Indonesia was declared as having the ninth-fastest growing tourist sector in the world in 2017, the third-fastest growing in Asia and fastest-growing in Southeast Asia.
- The tourist sector grew 22% in 2017, higher than the 6.4% average growth of global tourism and 7% average growth in the ASEAN tourist industry.