- November 1, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo said on 1 Nov 19 he would not revoke the controversial amendment to the Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) Law and would instead accelerate the establishment of a team to supervise the country’s antigraft agency.
- The President said he had started to look for candidates to fill the supervisory council, which will be established for the first time in accordance with the revised law. The council, which will have the authority to control KPK investigations, is among the law’s most disputed provisions and has led to public protests.
- Jokowi said he would handpick the council members without a formal selection process.
- “Since this is the first time, it [the council] will not be chosen through a selection committee. But trust me, these people have good credibility,” Jokowi said at the State Palace.
- Jokowi argued that it would not be proper to issue the order, a government regulation in lieu of law (Perppu), while the law is still being reviewed in the Constitutional Court.
- A group of antigraft activists have petitioned for a judicial review as another attempt to revoke the controversial articles.
- “There is a judicial review process in the courts. Don’t let [the Perppu] overlap with another legal process. I think we should mind our manners,” he said.
External Link : https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2019/11/01/trust-me-jokowi-cancels-plan-to-revoke-kpk-law-amendment.html