- October 17, 2019
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The National Association of University Student Executive Bodies (BEM-SI) plans to stage a rally in front of the State Palace on 17 Oct 19 following a decision by the Jakarta Police to restrict protests ahead of the presidential inauguration on 20 Oct 19.
- BEM-SI coordinator Abdul Basit said he estimated that 1,000 students would take part in the protest on 17 Oct 19.
- He said the group would gather in the National Monument area in Central Jakarta.
- Abdul, who is also head of the Jakarta State University (UNJ) BEM, said around 100 UNJ students would also be present.
- Previously, a poster invited all BEMs in Greater Jakarta and Banten to stage a rally to demand that President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo issue a regulation in lieu of law (Perppu) to revoke the controversial newly revised Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) Law, which will take effect on 17 Oct 19 after being passed by the House of Representatives in Sep 19.
- Earlier this week, the Jakarta Police decided not to issue protest permits from 15 Oct 19 until the inauguration of Jokowi and Ma’ruf Amin on 20 Oct 19.