- January 14, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Chinese research vessel has been identified in the waters of Indonesia with its tracking system turned off, authorities said on 14 Jan 21, amid concerns in the region about Beijing’s maritime conduct.
- Colonel Wisnu Pramandita, spokesman of Indonesia’s maritime security agency Bakamla, in a statement said authorities suspected the vessel was conducting unauthorised activities in the Sunda Strait after its automatic identification system (AIS) had been switched off three times.
- The Xiang Yang Hong 03 exited Indonesia’s exclusive economic zone late on 13 Jan 21.
- Indonesian security officials have closely watched activities of Chinese vessels around the archipelago, amid wider tensions in the region and concern about Beijing’s militarisation and the conduct of its coastguard and fishing fleet.
- The Xiang Yang Hong 03 during radio communication told Indonesia authorities its AIS had malfunctioned, Bakamla said.
- The vessel was spotted during operations to recover the Sriwijaya Air jet that crashed into the Java Sea on Saturday with 62 people on board.
External Link : https://www.reuters.com/article/us-indonesia-maritime-china/indonesia-says-spots-chinese-research-vessel-in-its-waters-tracker-off-idUSKBN29J1IM