- July 17, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The National Police have made a list of mass organizations to be considered for disbandment following the issuance of Regulation in Lieu of Law (Perppu) No. 2/2017 on mass organizations.
- Disbandment will be executed by the Home Ministry and the Law and Human Rights Ministry, National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said.
- Tito did not reveal the names of the mass organizations. He said before any organizations were disbanded, institutions such as the State Intelligence Agency (BIN), the Attorney General’s Office and the Indonesian Military (TNI), would meet to discuss the matter.
- After the government issued the Perppu replacing the 2013 law on mass organizations on 12 Jul 17, debate has been rife over the government’s right to disband a mass organization without due legal process within just one week of issuing a warning letter.
- President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has said that those who oppose the Perppu could challenge it through the courts. “Our state is based on a legal system. Those who want to challenge the Perppu can use legal avenues to challenge it in court,” he said.