- April 8, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- President Joko Widodo is backing a push to expand Bank Indonesia’s mandate to include bolstering the economy, throwing his public support behind a legislative move that some analysts see as risking the central bank’s independence.
- Bank Indonesia shouldn’t just manage the currency, but also should support sustainable economic growth and job creation, Jokowi, said on 7 Apr 21 in an interview in Jakarta.
- After a year when Indonesia struggled with its first recession in two decades, the economy is set to grow as much as 7% y/y in 2Q21, he added.
- “Of course I support Bank Indonesia to add growth and job creation to its mandate,” he said in a discussion at the presidential palace, where anti-virus measures included masks, face shields and clear screens on the table.
- He added: “Bank Indonesia will remain independent.”
- Deliberations should continue on financial-sector reform to ensure a quick response by all authorities, including the central bank, during times of crisis, Jokowi said.
- The discussion hasn’t reached the issue of whether there should be a supervisory board to oversee the central bank and the Financial Services Authority, known as OJK, he added.
External Link : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-07/jokowi-supports-central-bank-mandate-to-aid-indonesia-s-growth