- June 3, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Coordinating Maritime Affairs and Investment Minister Luhut Pandjaitan said on 2 Jun 20 that the government was expecting the House of Representatives to conclude deliberation on the omnibus bill on job creation in Jul 20 and that the government expected the bill, if passed, to speed up Indonesia’s investment recovery.
- “We will complete the bill by early Jul 20,” said Luhut, a close aide to President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo.
- “If it passes into law, we may be one of the easiest countries for investment, but of course [the investment] must comply with the appropriate regulations.”
- The government has agreed to delay deliberations on labour-related provisions following strong objections from members of the public, especially workers’ organizations.
- Luhut, a retired military general, said he remained positive that Indonesia was an attractive country for investment because of its rich natural resources.
- At the same time, he added, the government was taking steps to develop downstream industries in the extractive sectors to generate as much value as possible from those resources, such as nickel ore.