- May 31, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Once precious Covid-19 vaccines, now expired, will be destroyed to make way for routine children’s immunizations in Indonesia as coronavirus worries ease.
- “Our storage facilities are feeling the strain as they’re filled with expired doses,” Health Minister Budi Gunadi Sadikin said. “That’s especially as we have a new campaign to push for basic vaccination for children across the country.”
- About 9 million doses were set to expire by the end of May 22, ministry’s spokeswoman Siti Nadia Tarmizi said.
- Indonesians are waiting for the government to lift all restrictions as the virus threat recedes. Most curbs have been removed except for limits on capacity and opening hours in some areas, and people are allowed to wear no masks while outdoors.
- The health ministry recommends that the restrictions be lifted only once 70% of the population are fully vaccinated, from about 65% currently, and the virus’s reproduction rate remains at or below one for three consecutive months, Sadikin said. The rate has been around that level for two months.