- June 9, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The divisive political campaign before Jakarta’s gubernatorial election in Apr 17 had little impact on public support for President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, a nation-wide survey conducted by Saiful Mujani Research and Consulting, or SMRC, has shown.
- According to the survey, Jokowi’s approval ratings are still the highest ahead of the country’s next presidential race in 2019, followed by retired general and authoritarian leader, Suharto, former son in law Prabowo Subianto.
- “The stability of the support is due to the public’s assessment of Jokowi’s performance and the macro-national conditions that have not changed much,” SMRC executive director Djayadi Hanan said in a press release on 8 Jun 17.
- According to the survey, 34.1% of the respondents said they would vote for Jokowi, and 17.2% for Prabowo. In a head-to-head simulation, Jokowi’s approval rating stood at 53.7%, while Prabowo’s stood at 37.2%.
- SMRC’s survey was conducted on 14-20 May 17, with 1,350 respondents who already have voting rights selected via multistage random sampling. The margin of error was approximately 2.5%, with 95% confidence level.