- March 16, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- India reported 24,492 new coronavirus cases on 16 Mar 21, the sixth straight day of more than 20,000 infections, as curbs to try to stop the spread of COVID-19 were expanded in parts of the country that have recorded a surge.
- The government has blamed crowding and a general reluctance to wear masks for the spike, ruling out mutations of the virus as a factor, unlike in the West.
- Amid the surge in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra, the Centre has asked the state to implement 14 specific public health measures to curb the spread of the disease. The measures, suggested by a central team that was deployed in the state to review the situation, focus on strict and effective containment strategy.
- The central team had said the rise in cases in Maharashtra was due to limited contact tracing; lack of effort to map cases and contacts; patients reporting late to hospitals; and a bulk of active cases being in home isolation without proper monitoring.
- Maharashtra on 15 Mar 21 ordered cinemas, hotels and restaurants to limit guests to half of capacity until the end of Mar 21. Weddings and other social events will also have limited attendance.
- Maharashtra has also locked down some districts.
- Another western state, Gujarat, has also decided to not allow fans into the world’s biggest cricket stadium hosting international matches here between India and England, after seeing a spurt in cases.
- Meanwhile, over 30 lakh people were vaccinated on 15 Mar 21, highest in a day so far.
- India has vaccinated nearly 26 million people since beginning its inoculation campaign in mid-Jan 21. The country aims to vaccinate 300 million of its 1.35 billion people by Aug 21.
External Link : https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN2B80D4