- November 19, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The apex court will resume hearing a batch of petitions urging an extension of the loan moratorium period and waiver of interest on interest on term loans on 19 Nov 20.
- The RBI had given a loan moratorium owing to Covid-19 and its fallout on businesses and consumers’ income. The period of moratorium had ended on 31 Aug 20.
- Subsequently, borrowers had sought relief from the top court asking for waiver of interest on interest and a further extension of the moratorium period.
- The finance ministry in its affidavit filed before the top court on 25 Oct 20 had stated that the government has decided to provide a waiver on compounding of interest for the moratorium period for loans to MSMEs and personal loans up to INR20mn.
- The RBI had directed banks to credit the requisite amount to borrowers’ accounts.
External Link : https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/banking/finance/banking/supreme-court-to-resume-hearing-on-loan-moratorium-interest-on-interest-waiver-case-today/articleshow/79296891.cms?utm_source=ETTopNews&utm_medium=HPTN&utm_campaign=AL1&utm_content=23