- July 17, 2017
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Close to 99% voting was recorded 17 Jul 17 for electing India’s 14th president, the returning officer for the poll announced. The counting of votes will take place on 20 Jul 17.
- In Parliament House, the voting percentage was 99%, said Lok Sabha Secretary General Anoop Mishra, who is also the returning officer for the polls.
- He said while the sanctioned strength of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha is 776, 771 MPs were eligible to cast their votes. There are two vacancies each in the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha, while one BJP MP Chedi Paswan does not have voting rights, he added.
- A total of 4,896 voters — 4,120 Member of Legislative Assemblies and 776 elected MPs — are eligible to cast their ballot. MLCs of states with legislative council are not part of the electoral college.
- While the value of an MLA’s vote depends on the population of the state he or she belongs to, the value of an MP’s vote remains the same at 708.