- March 29, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee has written to all non-BJP chief ministers and opposition parties, including the Congress which her party had been attacking recently, calling on all “progressive forces” to come together and put up a united fight against the “oppressive BJP regime”.
- The West Bengal chief minister called for a meeting to discuss strategies to take on the saffron party and also commit to the cause of a unified and principled opposition that will make way for the “government that the country deserves”.
- Slamming the BJP-led Centre’s alleged vindictive politics, she iterated that the democratic fabric of the country was being attacked with the use of agencies such as the Enforcement Directorate (ED), Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) to “harass and corner political opponents”.
- “I urge everyone to come together for a meeting to deliberate on the way forward at a place as per everyone’s convenience and suitability. Let us commit to the cause of a unified and principled opposition that will make way for the government that our country deserves,” the letter dated 27 Mar 22 said. It was shared with the media on 29 Mar 22.
- In her letter, Banerjee also alleged that the Delhi Special Police (Amendment) Bill, 2021 and the CVC (Amendment) Bill, 2021 were passed in the Parliament during the winter session amidst walk out by the opposition.
- “These laws enable the Centre to extend the tenure of the directors of ED and CBI up to five years in blatant violation of a previous Supreme Court judgment,” she said.
- Alleging that the central agencies “jolt to action” whenever elections are around the corner, she urged the parties to resist the BJP’s intention to misuse the agencies to suppress the opposition.
- “It is amply clear that the opposition is being targeted, and the BJP-ruled states get a free pass from these agencies so that a rosy picture of their hollow governance can be painted,” the letter stated.
- Seeking transparency and accountability in governance, she said that the opposition leaders should not tolerate the vindictive politics of the BJP that has led to political witch-hunting becoming a norm.
- Senior Congress leader Abdul Mannan claimed that the TMC lacks credibility in the fight against the BJP.
- “The TMC lacks credibility in the fight against the BJP. Until a few days back, we were regularly attacked by the TMC leaders. So, what has changed so suddenly that they are reaching out to us? They should answer this,” he said.
External Link : https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/mamata-banerjee-writes-to-non-bjp-cms-opposition-leaders-calls-for-united-fight-against-saffron-party/articleshow/90519025.cms