- October 6, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- The Election Commission on 6 Oct 18 announced dates for assembly polls in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Mizoram, Rajasthan and Telangana setting the stage for a high-stakes battle in the five states.
- The assembly elections in these states will be held between 12 Nov 18 – 7 Dec 18, in what could be a virtual semi-final to the 2019 Lok Sabha elections. Counting of votes will be taken up together in all the five states on 11 Dec 18.
- The Congress, which is ruling in Mizoram, is trying to wrest power from the BJP in Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- While Chhattisgarh will go to the polls in two phases on 12 and 20 Nov 18, elections in Madhya Pradesh and Mizoram will be held on 28 Nov 18. Polling in Rajasthan and Telangana will be held on 7 Dec 18, Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) OP Rawat announced.
- Like in the past, Chhattisgarh will have elections in two phases. In the first phase, 18 seats in south Chhattisgarh affected by left wing extremism will go to polls and in the second phase voting will be held in 72 seats in the northern parts of the state, Rawat said.