- February 15, 2022
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- In the second phase of polling in Uttar Pradesh, a turnout of over 62% was recorded while in the single-phase Uttarakhand elections, 62.5% (approx.) voters turned up to cast their vote on 14 Feb 22.
- However, Goa saw the highest turnout at 79%, a tad lower than the previous time’s 83%. Meanwhile, the Samajwadi Party in UP has sent letters to the Election Commission regarding fake voting in some places, highhandedness by polling officers and inconsistent voting, with some of the charges being rubbished by the EC.
- The BJP has also written a letter to the EC that the identities of Burqa-clad women were not being verified due to which fake voting was taking place and that women officers were required to be stationed at the booths to check their identity.
- This phase, which took place in a high minority populated area, will be a sure test of whether the SP’s assumption of Muslims supporting it is true.
- It will also be a test of BJP’s claim that Muslim women are supporting the party. Split of Muslim votes between the SP, BSP and Aimim resulting in gains for the BJP may be another factor to watch out for.
- In Uttarakhand, polling began at 8 am in all the 70 constituencies spread over 13 districts in the state’s plain and hilly parts. Long queues of voters were seen outside the polling booths from early morning. Voters were provided hand gloves and sanitizers.