- April 25, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Guatemalan President Alejandro Giammattei pledged his unconditional support on 25 Apr for the “Republic of Taiwan” on a trip that comes as China steps up pressure on the handful of countries that still maintain formal ties with the island.
- Speaking at a welcoming ceremony outside Taiwan’s presidential office, Giammattei said Guatemala and Taiwan were “brotherly countries” and important allies.
- Speaking in Spanish, he referred twice to the “Republic of Taiwan”, rather than its official name the Republic of China, generally stylised these days by the government as the Republic of China, Taiwan.
- “I want everyone to trust that Guatemala will continue to be a solid diplomatic ally to the Republic of Taiwan and will continue to deepen cooperation in all areas,” he said, pledging “absolute support”.
- Giammattei, standing next to Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen, ended his speech with a rousing “long live free Taiwan”, receiving a broad smile from Tsai who thanked him in English.
External Link : https://www.reuters.com/world/guatemala-president-pledges-strong-support-republic-taiwan-2023-04-25/