- April 23, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- China’s Vice Foreign Minister Sun Weidong has lodged solemn representations with the South Korean ambassador over “erroneous” remarks by the South Korean president about Taiwan, China’s foreign ministry said on 23 Apr.
- In an exclusive interview with Reuters, South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol said increased tensions around Taiwan were due to attempts to change the status quo by force, and he opposed such a change.
- “The Taiwan issue is not simply an issue between China and Taiwan but, like the issue of North Korea, it is a global issue,” Yoon said.
- Yoon’s remarks are “totally unacceptable,” Sun said, according to a Chinese foreign ministry statement.
- “The South Korean leader made no mention of the One China principle, but equated the Taiwan issue with the Korean Peninsula issue,” Sun said.
- Sun’s complaint followed criticism from the Chinese foreign ministry last week that South Korea should “prudently” handle matters related to Taiwan. South Korea hit back by summoning China’s ambassador to protest at Beijing’s remarks.