- March 2, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- China’s new foreign minister Qin Gang on 2 Mar held his first face-to-face talks with Indian counterpart S Jaishankar on the sidelines of a G20 summit, where deepening rifts among the world’s biggest economies over the Ukraine-Russia war were on display.
- The 45-minute engagement between the two senior diplomats come as India and China continue to be locked in a border stand-off, a row that remains unresolved since Jun 20 despite multiple discussions.
- Jaishankar said the border dispute featured prominently in the talks.
- The visit comes at a time of geopolitical turmoil, with heightened suspicions between Western democracies – led by the US – and Russia and China, on the issue of the war in Ukraine.
- India had wanted its G20 presidency this year (2023) to focus on issues such as alleviating poverty and climate finance, but Russia’s war with Ukraine had crowded out other agenda items.
External Link : https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/3212135/chinese-indian-foreign-ministers-hold-bilateral-talks-g20-meeting-ends-disarray