- October 23, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- India’s foreign minister Jaishankar acknowledged that India-Canada relations were at a “difficult phrase”, but India invoked diplomatic parity due to concerns over “continuous interference” in its “internal affairs” by Canadian personnel.
- Jaishankar added that India has stopped issuing visas in Canada because of safety concerns for its diplomatic staff. Sources suggest that the security situation is under review, which may allow a resumption of visa services.
- Meanwhile, the US and UK governments backed Canada, insisting that diplomatic presence is required to be on the ground to resolve disputes.
- Canadian foreign minister Joly criticized India for the withdrawal order, saying that “unilateral revocation of the diplomatic privilege and immunity is contrary to international law” and a violation of the convention on diplomatic relations.
- Australian intelligence chief Mike Burgess separately remarked that he has “no reason” to dispute Ottawa’s account about Nijar’s killing.
External Link :