- June 18, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- Four months after cancelling his trip to Beijing, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken met Chinese Foreign Minister Qin Gang in the Chinese capital in a push to ease tensions between the two countries that both sides called “constructive” and ended with an agreement to continue discussions in Washington.
- The talks at the Diaoyutai State Guest House lasted 5 and a half hours, and were described by the US State Department as “candid, substantive, and constructive”. Chinese state broadcaster CCTV called them “candid, in-depth and constructive communication on the overall relationship”.
- The Chinese side mixed calls to continue high-level exchanges and expand cultural, business and educational exchanges with a warning about Taiwan, one of the sorest points of contention between the two sides.
- On 18 Jun, the discussions – involving the most senior American official to visit in five years – were meant to reduce friction over a range of issues, including Taiwan, the war in Ukraine and US-led tech containment.
- Before leaving for Beijing on 17 Jun, Blinken said one of his goals was to set up “open and empowered communications” with Chinese officials.