- May 11, 2023
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Daily News
- US President Joe Biden will host India’s Narendra Modi for a state visit in June, it was announced on 10 May, as Washington courts New Delhi as a bulwark against China.
- The state visit, the highest level of diplomatic reception, will boost the United States and India’s “shared commitment to a free, open, prosperous, and secure Indo-Pacific”, the White House said.
- The invitation comes despite rising concerns about human rights and democratic backsliding under Modi’s Hindu nationalist leadership in India, the world’s most populous nation.
- It will be the first state visit by Modi to the United States. He visited Biden at the White House in 2021 as part of the Quad summit bringing together the United States, Australia, Japan and India.
- This time India is understood to have sought the highest level of protocol for a head of state. The trip will include a state dinner.
- New Delhi welcomed the visit as “historic” and hailed the chance to build collaboration with Washington and to “discuss opportunities to expand and consolidate the Quad engagement”.