- November 23, 2016
- Posted by: admin
- The National Police have prepared anticipatory measures to secure two anti-government rallies scheduled for 25 Nov 16 and 2 Dec 16, during which millions of people will reportedly take to the streets across Jakarta to demand the resignation of President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, a high-ranking officer said on 21 Nov 16.
- National Police chief Gen. Tito Karnavian said the police had obtained information that protesters might occupy the compound of the House of Representatives during the 25 Nov 16 rally.
- Tito said the police, supported by military personnel, would beef up security in areas around the House complex during the rally. The police also claim that they will act firmly against any protesters who violate the law.
- Tito said participants in the 2 Dec 16 rally, which will be organized by the National Movement to Save the Indonesian Ulema Council’s Edicts (GNPF-MUI), would hold Friday prayers on two main roads in Central Jakarta, starting from Jl. MH Thamrin to Jl. Jend. Sudirman.
- GNPF-MUI organized a mass rally on 4 Nov 16 to protest Jakarta Governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama’s alleged blasphemy. Tito said, however, that he believed the planned 2 Dec 16 rally would be unrelated to Ahok’s alleged blasphemy because authorities have taken legal measures in the case.